Tuesday, June 1, 2010



Day 8 (?) in Bangkok. It is nearly the end of week two in Thailand, and I still do not feel like I'm fully comfortable with my surroundings. I have loved everything I have seen, have become enamored with the people here, their lifestyle, eating habits, customs, and I LOVE the weather, but I have not yet developed a daily routine, and that feels unsettling.
As much as I constantly boast how well I could lead a nomadic life, traveling til' the end of my days and always trying new places and things, when I do find myself rooted somewhere I like to really feel that I belong. This concept is not new to anyone, I'm sure, as we all like to feel like we are contributing to the society which we are living in, or at least able to cohesively exist with those around us, accepted within some sort of social circle.
The past couple of nights I've had trouble sleeping, and I know part of the reason is because I have a lot on my mind, but also because I know that in the morning I am waking up in a place where know one knows who I am, and it is so strange to feel nonexistant in a place. Does that make sense? I think this is my EGO talking - the large and in charge one that I possess - but naturally our ego's are always present, whether we recognize this fact or not. But to be a complete stranger to everyone here is at once a freedom and a burden; I have the choice to go out and immerse myself in this world and to meet new people, but I can also view it as an exhausting forray that requires time and effort and, heck, even a smile. If that sounds like a load of whiny nonsense to you...good. It should. I'm becoming a pain to myself with all of this thinking.
On that note, going out to enjoy the sunshine and read a good book :)


p.s. I enjoyed a packed day of sightseeing yesterday with our lovely and charismatic new friend and Bangkok tour guide Sasha. We visited temples and the amulet market, had afternoon tea at the exquisite Four Seasons, and then ended the day at the beautiful Face Restaurant and Spa...pictures:






(My stunning new bracelet from Sasha...7000 Channel designs!)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails