Hey dudes, I have a deep, deep well of photos that I would love to share on my blog but there are so many I'm afraid I'd need to create another website to accommodate them (hm, there's an idea!) but for now I am posting batches at a time of different portions of my adventures here in Thailand. I took some photos on the train ride to Chiang Mai because we left around 6PM and the sun was setting just as the train was hitting the edge of the city and entering the wilderness beyond.
We ate dinner in the dining car, and though the food wasn't 5-star the chatting train conductors chugging beers behind us were quite entertaining. I kept my vow of no alcohol and instead just took photos of the sweating bottle of Singha across the table. All in all, my first experience on the Orient Express was enjoyable.
There was something about those trains that made me want to shoot an indie film about traveling strangers. Though quite charming, the train was sort of seedy and run-down and darkly comical, as if it would be of no surprise to anyone if we suddenly ran off the tracks or completely broke down in the middle of knowhere.
The conductors giggled mischievously when they checked our tickets and we received a multitude of stares as we passed through in-between train cars to get to dinner, as if white people found in such circumstances should not be trusted.
One train car in particular, I'm pretty sure, was hosting some sort of mini-music festival en route to Chaing Mai complete with bongos, tambourines, singers and dancers, and pungent containers of celebratory food.
I laughed to myself thinking how that would never fly in America. They freak if you even put your feet on the seats on trains at home, and here they STAND and JUMP on them like its a slumber party. Needless to say I was a little jealous! :)
P.S. Listening to this song is a pasttime of mine...ever since I saw Amelie on my very first flight to Paris I have been in love with Audrey Tautou and composer Yann Tiersen. I just can't get enough! (Download it by clicking the song!)
these photos are stunning!
ReplyDelete