Thursday, November 5, 2009

Italians in America...

I know, I know...I've been neglecting my blogging duties for the past week. I DO have an excuse, though. My two Italian friends from Rome were visiting for the past two 1/2 weeks and I was busy spending time with them. They stayed with me in Philadelphia and at my NYC apartment the last two nights of their trip. They took small road trips to Washington D.C. and Boston, as well.

They are such wonderful and interesting boys, I couldn't have asked for better house guests. They got to experience a traditional college-style Halloween with my friends and I. They dressed up as - surprise, surprise - the Italian maffia. Their costumes were legit, too! Perfectly tailored trousers, crisp white button-down shirts, skinny black kneckties, and suspenders. Oh, and plastic guns, of course. I made sure to shove some award-winning Pat's cheesesteaks into their mouths and race them up the "Rocky" steps while they were here. All in all, it was an amazing visit.


I was encouraged by the boys to practice some of my Italian, which I have completely neglected since I left Rome 6 months ago. The thing is, my pronunciation is embarassing and nearly undecipherable to the Italian ear, but I tried my best. I learned that "puzza" refers to something that smells bad. And I finally cleared up any confusion with the "love" situation. Basically, I would never say "ti amo" to someone unless I am completely in love with them and our relationship is very, very serious. For every other instance, including with my parents and sisters, "ti voglio bene" is the appropriate phrase. Good to know! Here in America, we tend to throw around the word love like a pair of old socks. Seriously people, you don't REALLY love most of the things you say you love. We need an inbetween word that means more than like and a bit less than love. Any suggestions?

My goodbye letter from the boys, handwritten and heartbreakingly sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails