Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Paper Heart

Ok, so I'm not calling myself a movie critic, but I just wanted to share some of my thoughts on this film. It was cute and very funny at times. I thought Charlene Yi did a wonderful job and even though it didn't live up to the preview it kept me interested through the end. Michael Cera played his signature role as the endearing and slightly awkward male and brought a spark that without which the film would have suffered. In the film Yi spends time traveling across the U.S. interviewing various subjects such as judges, divorcees, old married couples, children on a playground, and even Vegas wedding chapel owners and in doing so sheds light on the many forms of love that those people have experienced. The film starts off as a documentary but quickly switches gears once the main character, Yi, becomes entranced with Cera and their relationship requires a level of privacy that the film can't allow, making the whole thing seem slightly miscalculated. The interviewees responses about their own impressions of what love is are the most poignant and truly enlightening aspects of the movie. If you like love, go see it. Some people were talking about the movie's shortcomings on the way out and I even heard one person mutter "stupid indie flick" but I enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to rent it on DVD, if just to watch Cera's introductory scene again in which he adorably sips on cheap beer and gives flirtatious eyes at Yi while remarking with a slight lisp, "Is this scene going to be in the film?" Obviously, it would be. 

Next flick: Whip It! - Drew Barrymore's directorial debut starring Ellen Page as a high-school misfit turned roller-skating superchick. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails